Reproductive Freedom for All Endorses Attorney General Josh Stein for Governor in North Carolina
Today, Reproductive Freedom for All announced its endorsement of Attorney General Josh Stein for Governor in North Carolina— the group’s first gubernatorial endorsement of the 2024 election cycle. Politico has dubbed this “the most important governor race of 2024.”
“From his time in the State Senate to serving as Attorney General, Josh Stein has fought against anti-abortion extremists every step of the way,” said Reproductive Freedom for All President and CEO Mini Timmaraju. “North Carolina needs a governor who will defend their freedoms, and that’s exactly who he’ll be. This race is critical for abortion access in the South, and we’re proud to endorse Josh Stein as our first gubernatorial endorsement of the 2024 cycle.”
“Reproductive freedom is on the line in North Carolina as far-right politicians seek total control over women’s rights to make decisions about their bodies, families, and futures,” said Attorney General and candidate for governor Josh Stein. “For over 50 years, Reproductive Freedom For All has been fighting to protect abortion access, and I am honored to have its endorsement in this race. As governor, I’ll always defend women’s most fundamental freedoms.”
- Attorney General Stein has been outspoken in supporting access to abortion and joined an amicus brief to defend the legality of medication abortion.
- He has opposed mandates that require doctors to have admitting privileges at hospitals, which are designed to create obstacles for people seeking abortion care.
- He has sued to defend public health providers that offer abortion care, like Planned Parenthood, from attempts to cut off their access to public health grants.
- He took action against the Trump administration when it attempted to block access to abortion care through the Title X gag rule and when it attempted to roll back abortion discrimination rules for protected classes.
- During his time in the North Carolina state Senate, Stein voted against various bills to institute mandatory delays in care and undergo biased counseling before receiving care.
- He opposed legislation to limit abortion coverage in health plans and opposed cutting off state funding for family planning programs by certain providers.
For over 50 years, Reproductive Freedom for All (formerly NARAL Pro-Choice America) has fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels—including access to abortion care, birth control, pregnancy and post-partum care, and paid family leave—for everybody. Reproductive Freedom for All is powered by its more than 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.