Planned Parenthood Votes! South Atlantic Endorses Josh Stein For Governor
On The 51st Anniversary Of Roe v. Wade, “Reproductive Freedom Is On The Ballot”
Today, Planned Parenthood Votes! South Atlantic announced its endorsement of Attorney General Josh Stein for the 2024 gubernatorial election on what would’ve been the 51st anniversary of Roe v. Wade. As far-right politicians like Lieutenant Governor Mark Robinson seek a total abortion ban with no exceptions, Josh is committed to protecting reproductive freedom in North Carolina.
“Women should be able to make their own reproductive health care decisions, and as Governor, I will stand up against any efforts by politicians to infringe on their rights,” said Attorney General and candidate for governor Josh Stein. “Reproductive freedom is on the ballot this November – that’s why I am proud to join Planned Parenthood Votes! South Atlantic in this critical fight for North Carolina.”
“Josh Stein is a champion for reproductive freedom with a proven track record of defending our rights and access to health care, including access to legal abortion,” said Jenny Black, President & CEO of Planned Parenthood Votes! South Atlantic. “He will use his veto power to stop any further attacks on reproductive health and reject extreme, partisan agendas pushed by the state legislature. Every North Carolinian should have the freedom to control their own body, life, and future. Mark Robinson, the likely Republican nominee for governor, has made it clear that he wants to have control over our private health care decisions. In fact, Robinson supports a complete, total ban on abortion. Josh Stein is the leader who can defeat Mark Robinson and fight back against his extreme agenda while advocating for policies that will help our families and communities thrive. We are proud to endorse Josh Stein as the governor we need to protect our right to make our own decisions and keep the government out of our health care.”
What’s At Stake:
- After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June of 2022, Robinson tweeted that he was “overjoyed” by the decision and had been “praying” for such a thing to happen.
- In January of 2023, Mark Robinson said in a speech that he wanted to make North Carolina a “destination for life.”
- On a radio show in February of 2023, Mark Robinson told the host, “If I had all the power right now, let’s say I was the governor and had a willing legislature, we could pass a bill saying you can’t have an abortion in North Carolina for any reason,”
- After the General Assembly passed their dangerous and unpopular abortion ban, Mark Robinson “confirmed in a radio interview in May that the ban doesn’t go far enough.”
- Robinson has stated that once a woman is pregnant, “it’s not [her] body anymore.”
- Just this past week, CNN reported that Mark Robinson said “there is no compromise on abortion,” and that people who obtain abortions have committed “murder” and have “blood on [their] hands.”
Planned Parenthood Votes! South Atlantic (PPVSAT) is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood South Atlantic. Fortifying their commitment to protect reproductive health and freedom, PPVSAT engages in educational and electoral activity, including public education campaigns, grassroots organizing, and electoral endorsements.